The Student Engagement Survey (SES) is designed to provide students with a voice relative to their engagement in the learning process and school. Results from this survey generate a valuable summary of the insights learned from student responses and provide schools and districts with the opportunity to understand their students’ engagement in greater detail. By understanding students’ responses, educators can determine and implement instructional strategies that promote engagement and thereby improve student achievement, interactions with peers, attendance, and interest in school.
In K–12 education, student engagement is generally accepted as “the degree of attention, curiosity, interest, optimism, and passion that students show when they are learning or being taught, which extends to the level of motivation they have to learn and progress in their education” (The Glossary of Education Reform, 2016). The theory of action supporting the SES states that by gathering feedback directly from learners, educators may adjust practices to better suit student needs and inspire connection to learning. This leads to decreased disengagement and the promotion of authentic engagement, ultimately leading to improved student outcomes.
Understanding and Using Survey ResultsOnce the administration window has closed, your school will receive a comprehensive report summarizing student results according to each of the engagement domains.
- Student Engagement Survey Fact Sheet for Parents
- Sample of Survey Summary Report
- Webinar Series:
- Part 1: Introduction to Survey Results (2022-2023) Recording, Slides
- Part 2: Understanding the Domains and Levels of Engagement Recording, Slides
- Part 3: Suggestions for Improving Student Engagement Recording, Slides
- Now What? A Quick Guide on Understanding and Using Survey Results
Research and Additional ResourcesThe following resources provide additional information about the development, results, and usage of the Student Engagement Survey.
- Analysis of Survey Reading Level
- Survey Technical Briefs describing results from the:
- It Matters: Student Engagement Data Story; A research report sharing findings and insights from over 347,000 student responses to the Cognia SES in 2020-2021.
- Federal Requirements Crosswalk: An explanation of how the Cognia SES meets federal accountability indicator requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) as a measure of “school quality or student success.”